We’re a B Corp Certified, ethically led, values-driven business
Building resilience to, and trying to solve, the world’s most challenging social issues comes with a unique set of ethical challenges. We take seriously our responsibility to act with integrity and the greatest possible transparency.
Having a clearly defined set of values and a code of ethical conduct means everyone who works at Zinc Network is clear about the kinds of projects we deliver, and the way we act in delivering them.
Our CEO, Robert Elliott, outlines our commitment to ethical behaviours and policies.
Our core ethical principles
Our code of conduct covers the following ethical principles:
Respecting privacy when researching human behaviour
When conducting research with individuals and groups, such as focus groups, we respect the agency of those taking part, with participants able to disengage at any stage.
- We respect people’s right to privacy when we conduct open-source digital research and only report personally identifiable content in specific circumstances: i.e. if there is a threat to the user, or the public’s safety
Supporting everyone working with us
- We respect the agency of individuals, organisations, partners and staff working with us, and fully brief everyone on a project’s objectives.
- We aim to support and protect everyone working on our projects and manage risks accordingly.
Building a network with integrity
- We work only with clients, partners and influencers who want to deal with problems effectively and who support our core values of democracy, free speech and tolerance.
- When creating or co-creating content, we enforce strict accuracy guidelines.
Advancing democratic values
- We are dedicated to advancing free speech, democracy and non-discrimination – values that corrupt and repressive actors consider a threat. We assess each project in terms of effectiveness and ethics, balancing considerations of impact, transparency and the possible dangers to our staff, clients and partners.
Our work is under constant review
Our ethicist, Thomas Kent, is independent of the management team. He reviews all Zinc projects and acts as a vital check on whether we’re living up to our ethics principles.
We are also committed to publishing a report each year on how we have applied our ethical principles.
Any Zinc employee who has ethical concerns about a project is encouraged to raise them with Zinc management or our ethics consultant directly.
Read our report covering our 2021 work here.
Zinc Network is B Corp Certified
We’re a company that balances purpose with profit and we believe that business should be a force for good. Our certification shows that we meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.